Everybody has memories of getting up early on Saturday morning to watch cartoons. There was something for everyone no matter their tastes. Animation has been a part of everyone’s lives since the moment the first cartoons were ever made and quickly popular cartoon characters began to appear. (That’s 1908’s Fantasmagorie for those interested in animation history.) With the help of AllCartoonCharacters, website you should definitely check out and add to your bookmarks, we’ve put together a list of the top 5 most popular cartoon characters of all time:
1. Mickey Mouse: One of the earliest widely known cartoon characters, Mickey is still going strong eighty-seven years after his first official release in 1928’s Steamboat Willie. There aren’t many characters that can claim as lasting a reputation or being the basis of multiple enormous theme parks around the world. Kids still love Mickey and his pals as much as ever!
2. Bugs Bunny: Bugs and the Looney Toons have made their mark by introducing one of Bugs’ signature phrases into the common lexicon: What’s up Doc? Whether the bunny is evading Daffy Duck or Elmer Fudd, there is a timelessness to his cartoons that make it a viewing staple.
3. Scooby Doo: Everyone loves a dog but when that dog comes with a full Scooby Squad to solve mysteries of the supernatural and strange, the character becomes iconic. Who doesn’t want to offer a dog a Scooby snack for being good? Then there’s the popular “I would have gotten away with it too, if it weren’t for you meddling kids!” that rounds out every Scooby mystery.
4. Homer Simpson: The Simpsons has made history more than once since the show first aired in 1989. Homer Simpson, head of the fictional family, easily gets the most laughs. While he might not be getting Dad of the Year awards, his ignorance, laziness, and tendency to drink and eat to excess have always led to a memorable watch.
5. Fred Flinstone: WILMA! The head of the Stone Age family is well known for his anger and the hijinks he gets up to with his neighbor Barney Rubble. The entire series is a classic for viewers old and new and no one can forget his signature “Yabba Dabba Doo!”