Sewer lines are very important towards keeping your home running in a hygienic manner. If the sewer lines begin to experience sewage system blockage, it can be smelly and messy as well as downright expensive to repair. As with many elements of the household, the key to avoiding expensive repairs is maintenance. The most common causes of household sewer problems are as follows:
- Pipe Corrosion: Many sewer lines are made of materials which corrode or deteriorate to the point of pipe collapse.
- Tree Roots: Roots will break into your sewer line to access the water and then grow to the point that anything solid, like toilet paper, will block the remaining clear areas and thus block the entire pipe.
- Leaking Joints: Simply enough, this is when the joints are faulty and water leaks into the soil around the pipe instead of being carried away.
- Broken Pipes: Wintertime can be hell on sewer line pipes and they can expand and crack with the cold.
- Bellied Pipe: Sometimes pipes can sink into the ground, which often allows more sewage to gather in one place.
- Blocked Pipes: A lot of different materials can cause blockages. This includes materials like fat deposits, feminine toiletries, and large amounts of toilet paper.
Thankfully a lot of these problems can be fixed with regular maintenance! Sewer cleaning companies like Downriver Plumbing in Downriver, Michigan can come for a consultation and evaluate your needs. Then they can help form a maintenance plan that involves checking up on and cleaning sewer lines at least once a year. As stated above, winter can be harsh on pipes in the ground so it might be wise to schedule a visit with that fact in mind.
A little preventative maintenance goes a long way to preventing the catastrophe that is sewage overflow in your yard and home. No one wants to smell that! Keep in mind if there is a blockage, you’ll be hearing a gurgling in your toilet and you might see the drain in your basement begin to backup with water. That’s the beginning of the end so keeping on top of things is vital for a healthy home!